This marriage of flavours is beautiful. The red fruit taste notes of our volcanic Solomon Islands 69% Guadalcanal chocolate set the figs alive. Pedro Ximenez Sherry adds a subtle sweetness which pairs beautifully with the spiced vanilla notes of Tonka Bean. Plus, it’s gluten free. This is delicious served with a sharp crème fraiche to accentuate the Red Fruit taste notes in the chocolate.
5 Fresh Figs, halved
100g Light Muscovado sugar
50g Dark Muscovado Sugar
100g Solomon Island 69% Guadalcanal Chocolate
50g Cocoa Powder
80g Fine Polenta
80g Ground Almonds
2 Eggs, separated
½ Tonka Bean, grated
1 tbsp PX Sherry
- Preheat the oven 180C. Grease and line a 20cm springform tin. Lay the figs in a decorative pattern, cut side down, in the base of the tin. Set aside.
- Melt the butter, sugars and chocolate over a Bain Marie and mix to combine. Set aside to cool a little.
- Meanwhile whisk the egg whites to firm peaks and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks, Tonka bean and PX sherry until voluminous and light. It should form a ribbon when the beaters are trailed across the surface.
- Gently fold in the chocolate mixture before sifting over the salt, polenta, cocoa and almonds. Fold these into the mix.
- Finally, gently fold in the egg whites, taking care not to lose too much air. This is best done in thirds.
- Spoon the mix on top of the figs and cook on the middle shelf for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve with a sharp crème fraiche.
Recipe by @gourmetglow. Head to www.gourmetglow.co.uk for more of her recipes.